Bananas Foster is a dessert made from bananas and vanilla ice cream, with a sauce made from butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, dark rum, and banana liqueur. The butter, sugar and bananas are cooked, and then alcohol is added and ignited. The bananas and sauce are then served over the ice cream. Popular toppings also include whipped cream and different types of nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc.). The dish is often prepared tableside as a flambé.
Bananas Foster Ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this restaurant-worthy bananas foster recipe:
· Butter: This decadent bananas foster recipe starts with butter melted in a skillet.
· Brown sugar: Dark brown sugar gives the dessert a rich and complex sweetness.
· Rum: Use your favorite dark rum for this boozy treat.
· Vanilla: Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor of this bananas foster recipe.
· Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon lends a warm and cozy flavor.
· Bananas: Of course, you’ll need bananas!
· Walnuts: Coarsely chopped walnuts add nutty flavor and welcome crunch.
· Ice cream: Use store-bought or homemade vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Bananas Foster
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below — but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make bananas foster at home:
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Stir in the sugar, rum, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Add the bananas and walnuts, then cook until the bananas are soft.
- Serve over ice cream.