Organization: United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
Category: Full-Time Staff
Nature of Application: Online
Deadline: 20th May 2020
Who We Are:
UNICEF – United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children, to save their lives, defend their rights and to help them fulfil their potential. In over 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, every day, everywhere, to build a better world for everyone.
Available Job Positions & Details
The following positions are available at UNICEF – United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund. To apply, follow the steps below;
1. Job Title: FT Education Specialist, P3
Job Number: 531518
Location: Kano, Nigeria
Work Type: Fixed Term Appointment
How Can you make a difference?
• With the guidance and general supervision of the Senior Education Manager (Level 5), the Specialist supports the development and preparation of the Education (or a sector of) programmes and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting the progress of education programmes/projects within the country programme.
• The Specialist shall provide technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of results on education programmes/projects to improve learning outcomes and equitable and inclusive education, especially for children who are marginalized, disadvantaged and excluded in society.
• The Specialist shall contribute to the achievement of results according to plans, allocation, results in based-management approaches and methodology (RBM), as well as UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance, and accountability framework.
Key Tasks / Responsibilities
Support to programme development and planning:
• To Support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the education programmes to ensure that current and comprehensive data on education issues is available to guide UNICEF’s strategic policy, advocacy, intervention and development efforts on education programmes.
• To Establish specific goals, objectives, strategies and implementation plans for the sector using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare the required documentations for programme review and approval.
• To Work closely and collaboratively with internal colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
• To Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
• To Help supervisor set priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery.
• To Participate in strategic programme discussion on the planning of education programmes. Formulate, design and prepare programme proposals for the sector, ensuring alignment with UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results:
• To Plan and collaborate with internal colleagues and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector on education programmes.
• To Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with the government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
• To Monitor and verify the optimum and appropriate use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity, ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
• To Prepare regular and mandated programme reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
• To Prepare and assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths and weaknesses in programme management.
• To Identify lessons learned and use the knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
• To Actively monitor programmes/projects through field visits and surveys, and exchange information with stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
Technical and operational support to programme implementation:
• To Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and country office partners and donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on education and related issues to support programme management, implementation and delivery of results.
• To Arrange/coordinate the availability of technical experts with Regional Office/HQ to ensure timely and appropriate support throughout the programming process.
• To Participate in education programme meetings including programme development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information, advice and support.
• To Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use.
Networking and partnership building:
• To Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant government counterparts, national stakeholders, global partners, donors, and academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and to reinforce cooperation to achieve sustainable and broad results on education programmes.
• To Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fundraising for education programmes.
• To Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best practices in education management. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
• To Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
• To Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on education and related programmes/projects.
• To Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions on education and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of programmes/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda-setting.
• To Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
• To Apply and introduce innovative approaches and good practices to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
• Have An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Education, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, or another relevant technical field.
• Must have A minimum of five years of professional experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in education is required.
• Must be Experience working in a developing country is considered as an asset.
• Must be Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
• Be UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
• Leading and supervising (I)
• Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
• Analyzing (III)
• Relating and networking (II)
• Deciding and Initiating action (II)
• Applying technical expertise (III)
• View our competency framework at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
• UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
• UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process
Application Deadline 20th May 2020.